Thursday, December 27, 2007

Words of Wisdom ...

I don't have any to offer, but would be willing to listen if anyone else had some to share. It is hard, this parenting of young adults. Complicating it further is the fact one of the young adults suffers from major depression (or does she suffer more from the treatment of the illness - that is the million $$ question these days I think), and so I *never* know if I'm saying or doing the right thing to her - ever! Anyway, younger daughter and her boyfriend have been planning for her to visit his hometown over their break from school (he seems like a nice kid ... young guy ... polite, on the quiet side, is kind to her), and while the schedule has changed a few times due to his work schedule, family emergencies, and the like, today was supposed to be the day. But the weather had other ideas, and again we are socked in by fog that severely limits visibility on the interstate so ... she's not going. Her dad (whom I have not had a conversation with in recent months) and I actually agreed that a road trip was just not the smart thing to do - so then why am I the bad guy? Why is it my house she sobs and sulks in, and her dad's house she escapes to? And why am I always the one she seems to be escaping from?? But really what I want to know is - when is the right time to let them make their own bad decisions and learn from them? Even when they're potentially dangerous? It seems to have been so much easier with my older daughter, maybe she was just born with more common sense or maybe it's because younger daughter has struggled so over the years with depression and bad judgment and seems to have always needed more direction and a shorter leash ... I don't know when to let go or at least ease up with this one. Possibly because there isn't the history of showing responsibility or making rational decisions. Possibly because she hasn't been allowed to show she is capable? Hopefully when the time is right I will realize it. Until then it seems 'round and 'round we go ....

*** In my defense, there have been two deaths from tragic car accidents in this awful fog we’re having in the last 2 days – so even if I am officially labeled as a teeny bit paranoid at least in this instance it’s justified.

No comments: