Sunday, April 5, 2009

Canine Cancer ....

I haven't told her, but I think she knows. Zoe Lucille I mean. She is our almost 10-yr old Westie. The sweetest tempered, best behaved of the bunch (not that I'd be able to pick one over the others ...). But she has always been without a doubt the princess. She started having accidents in the house which is so not like her ... for awhile I thought she was depressed that my older daughter had moved out after having lived with us for 5 months or so. Zoe is 'her' dog and she was definitely mopey and not herself when her person left. ( Never mind that I'm the one who has fed her, sheltered her, cared for her the past 9 1/2 years - and 5 of those when her 'mother' was away at college!) But Zoe just wasn't herself. Then one Sunday while laying on my outstretched legs she wet ...and I knew we had a problem. The next morning I called the vet and had an appointment that very afternoon. Already I had read enough on the internet that I was positive she had diabetes - her symptoms just fit. And I'd made up my mind that I was was willing to try ... giving her insulin shots, checking her urine daily (multiple times a day??) ... she deserved it, and I just would. The diagnosis instead was a raging bladder infection. And suspicious clumps of cells in the urinalysis. Was I willing to have them do an ultrasound of her bladder? Of course. But unfortunately her bladder was empty, and there has to be some urine in there for them to get a good picture. We went home with antibiotics for the infection, and 3 days worth of steroids to help with that 'gotta go gotta go gotta go right now' urge, and an appointment for a re-check in 2 weeks. She responded quickly to the meds, and there were no more accidents in the house. For about 10 days. Then all 3 dogs went to my folks' house for the weekend while YD and I made a weekend trip to visit older daughter, and the problem continued at their house. Monday Zoe and I headed back to the vet. The bladder infection was mostly under control, and this time the ultrasound was .. helpful? It showed a mass in her bladder, and it's pretty advanced. Inoperable they said - though I don't know that I'd have chosen to go that route anyway it made the diagnosis sound that much more terminal. Zoe has not aged one bit in all her almost 10 years. She plays, and loves their walks, and dances and 'talks' excitedly when she hears the sound of their food bowls. She was not the one I expected to lose first. There's a prescription medicine - Piroxicam, peanut butter flavor that she loves - which will help with any discomfort, help with that 'urge', and could help slow down the growth of the tumor if it weren't already so far advanced. Already the tumor has invaded her urethra making it hard for her to pee.. she hates that I invade her privacy I know, but I can't help but watch, and I can tell she is straining to 'go' sometimes and leaving barely a few drops to show for it. I've also been back on-line and found some interesting articles. For instance a mixture of cottage cheese and flax oil is supposedly good for humans and pets alike with cancer. Who am I to judge? And she loves it! On the days she's already started to turn her back on breakfast she will eat the cottage cheese & flax oil. (I bought 6 containers of cottage cheese on sale at the market the other day ... and would guess the checker thought I'm probably starting a new diet for myself! ;) I've also switched from their usual lamb & rice dog food to a high protein, low carb brand. They eat it, but not with as much enthusiasm (just like people - what's good for you might not taste as good). Tuna has also become a regular treat added to their food, and I bought - but have yet to make - beef liver for them. Ugh. Also supposed to be good for them, but don't know that I can stand the smell! The prognosis was a few months to a year ... I intend to make however long she still has the best I can for her.

No comments: